On Sep 27, 4:43 pm, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Brian Marick <mar...@exampler.com> wrote:
> > I think "is it actively maintained?" is not a particularly interesting
> > question for a community. The question is: "is this a useful library?"
> > Then: "is the original author maintaining it?" And then, if not: "who will
> > pick it up?"
>
> Well, I'd hope that we can find (active) maintainers for libraries
> that are actually useful :)

I hope so, too, but very often this doesn't happen in practice. Much
useful code is not maintained.

If I add a dependency from Clojars or maven central to my project.clj
file, I don't want to pay the tax of deciding what Clojure version it
is and whether it is actively maintained, and waiting for the
maintainer to respond to me, and, if he or she does not, debugging the
library myself and then resubmitting it to clojars. Of course this can
be necessary when there are bugs, but now almost all the 1400+
libraries in Clojars are suspect because of the 1.2 to 1.3 transition.
I consider this to be incidental complexity and I am "tired/old/lazy"/
stupid. I want to simply use the library. Clojure indeed is
brilliantly designed exactly to make libraries easy to use (by using
immutable data and avoiding the OOP pitfall of excessively complex
types) and this breaking transition from 1.2 to 1.3 tends to undermine
that achievement.

I do like Phil's classloader suggestion, but I wonder if there might
be a way for leiningen to automatically provide a transparent wrapper
around 1.2 jars so that they can be called by 1.3 code without local
(eval-in-1.3 ...) macros.

Arthur