On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Arthur Edelstein
<arthuredelst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope so, too, but very often this doesn't happen in practice. Much
> useful code is not maintained.

My position on free open source software is that if it's that useful
to someone, then that someone has at least some obligation to
contribute back to the community somehow. In the case of useful
software with no active maintainer, that contribution can sometimes be
the path to becoming the new maintainer :)

> If I add a dependency from Clojars or maven central to my project.clj
> file, I don't want to pay the tax of deciding what Clojure version it
> is and whether it is actively maintained

With all due respect, I think that's an unreasonable expectation: this
is free open source software we're talking about, created and
maintained by the community at large. Figuring out those things is the
tax you generally have to pay with free open source software.

When you're selecting a library to solve a particular problem, you
normally have to do some research and evaluate more than one library
so, for me, the activity of the project and software versions
supported are part of that necessary research. I can't imagine "just
using" some random library without doing some legwork...?

Phil's suggestion of adding metadata to Clojars might help - but of
course for libraries not being actively maintained, there will be no
metadata because there will be no one to update it and for libraries
that are actively maintained, they'll likely support both Clojure
1.2.x and Clojure 1.3.0 fairly soon anyway...
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."