On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Arthur Edelstein
<arthuredelst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> raises the question of what happens to all of the many existing
> Clojure 1.2-based libraries in Clojars and on github. Many of these
> are very useful, but not necessarily actively maintained. A lot of

Are therein lies the problem: if they are not actively maintained,
you're not going to get bug fixes even on Clojure 1.2. This was true
of a large number of contrib modules as well and as we can see from
http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/Where+Did+Clojure.Contrib+Go a
lot of the Clojure Contrib 1.2.0 modules are unmaintained and some
won't work with Clojure 1.3.0 :(

> So my request for Clojure's future development, is that backwards
> compatibility not be broken.

I don't think that it's reasonable to expect Clojure to be always
beholden to unmaintained third party libraries.

What I've been doing is approaching the author(s) of a library where I
needed Clojure 1.3.0 compatibility and offered to help them update the
code so it works on Clojure 1.2.x and 1.3.0. This clearly helps me -
and requires surprisingly little time investment - and it also helps
every other user of those libraries.

If a library truly has no maintainer, relying on it - especially for
production code - is a little risky in my opinion.

> I love that Clojure is being constantly improved and developed, and I
> thank everyone who has been working so hard on it. In my opinion,
> though, third-party libraries are as important as the core language.
> Clojure 1.3 interoperates with java libraries very well -- so why not
> with Clojure 1.2 libraries?

I think the better approach is to ensure third party libraries are
updated and available to all Clojure users - instead of placing the
burden on the Clojure/core team, for a bunch of libraries over which
they have no control.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/