For what it's worth, I've submitted 20+ patches to ClojureScript and one or
two to Clojure proper. I still find the process to be extremely unpleasant.
I consistently avoid interacting with JIRA until the last possible minute:
That software is actively user-hostile. Without naming names, I've spoken
with a half dozen other active contributors who feel the same way. If I
wasn't between jobs at the time, I'd never have made it over the hump
towards being a contributor.