Being the maintainer of an open source problem is a hard task.

Contributing to a project is not a process that begins and ends with code
submissions. In fact, it's often more work for a maintainer to accept a
patch or pull request than it is for him or her to write the equivalent
code himself.

Clojure is hardly the only project that doesn't accept pull requests. The
Linux Kernel and Guava are two that immediately come to mind. For Guava's
rationale, you might read the following:
https://plus.google.com/113026104107031516488/posts/ZRdtjTL1MpM Their
reasons are not identical to Rich's, but the sentiment is similar.

Does this mean you shouldn't even try to contribute? No, of course not.
But, contributions to clojure are definitely less easy to make than to
projects that willy-nilly accept any pull request.