> contributions to clojure are definitely less easy to make than to projects
> that willy-nilly accept any pull request.

False dichotomy. Accepting pull requests does not mean you need to be
willy-nilly about it.

You know how people carefully optimize their signup forms and checkout
flows? They do this because there's a (very large) category of people who
simply give up when things aren't immediately obvious. Granted, this
category is much smaller among the class of folks skilled enough to create
a desirable Clojure patch. However, the fact that this topic keeps coming
up suggests that maybe that group is large enough to pay attention too.

As the Clojure implementations evolve, fewer and fewer people will discover
issues large enough to justify diving into the code base to fix them. Most
people just work around the issues. If somebody takes the initiative to
properly fix an issue, we shouldn't add yet another hurdle discouraging
them from contributing.