On Jan 18, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Sean Corfield wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Andy Fingerhut
> <andy.finger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The issue that Clojure, its contrib libraries, and ClojureScript do not
>> accept github pull requests has been brought up several times before on this
>> email list in the past.  Feel free to search the Google group for terms like
>> "pull request".  Short answer: Rich Hickey prefers a workflow of evaluating
>> patches, not pull requests.  It is easier for him.
>
> My understanding is that with pull requests it becomes much harder to
> provide accountability for Intellectual Property which is a legal
> concern, and that's why we have a Contributor's Agreement. The patch
> process naturally falls out of the legal CA-covered process since each
> patch is clearly identified as "belonging" to a specific contributor -
> and submitting a patch comes with the responsibility of vouching for
> the legal status of that submission. Github's pull request process
> makes it all too easy to incorporate code that belongs to a Github
> account holder who is not covered by the legal agreement and places
> the burden of verification on screeners to verify the IP ownership.
>
> But let's not re-hash the issue of the CA. Folks can just read the
> archives and there's really nothing new to add...

I won't rehash the issue, but will provide direct pointers to a couple of posts
that led me to believe my statements above.

Here is a link to the whole thread, with many posts on the
then-just-being-started clojure-doc.org web site (which I'm pleased to see has
certainly come a long way since early Oct 2012):

    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/clojure/jWMaop_eVaQ

Scan a down to Jay Fields post from Oct 6 2012, and then to Rich Hickey's
response later the same day.  I don't have any inside info about Rich's
preferences for patches outside of such public messages, but it definitely
seems to be due to workflow preference issues, not legal issues.

Andy