On Jan 21, 2013, at 17:06, Andy Fingerhut wrote:
> Yes, we do have the technology, and have for years now.  The technology
> isn't the hard part in this case.  The only barrier to entry is the
> willingness and ability to spend time, more time, and yet more time ...

I've been interested in mechanized documentation for decades.  I have
speculated about system designs and even generated working code in the
area at times.  I really like Codeq's approach, for several reasons:

*  The notion of "code quanta" is new (to me, at least) and seems useful.

*  The use (and extension) of Git as the system's basis allows Codeq to
   take advantage of good (and strongly adopted) technology.

*  The use of a flexible, powerful, and scalable database (Datomic) as
   the data store allows arbitrary inputs and outputs.  (I'm _really_
   down on the "information silo" nature of most current doc systems.)

That said, use of Codeq should be be either invisible or optional.  If I
type (doc foo) into my REPL, I should have to worry about infrastructure.

Although I wouldn't expect a tsunami of volunteer documenters, I think we
might see a fair amount of activity, given the pent-up demand that we've
seen expressed on this list.  Whether the activity persists will depend
on how convenient and useful the resulting system seems.

Given Codeq's structure and Git-friendliness, it might be useful to set
up a doc repo to document each "base" code repo.  I'd map each file in
the base repo to a directory in Git and each code quantum in the base
repo to a structured (eg, YAML) documentation file.  This would give the
documenter(s) plenty of "elbow room" for adding text, metadata, etc.

> I wouldn't say it would defuse any arguments about what information
> should or shouldn't be included.  Any such arguments would move from
> the Clojure team to whoever maintains the enhanced docstrings. :-)
> One could imagine allowing multiple sets of such enhanced-docstrings
> to be distributed from multiple parties, and Clojure users could pick
> and choose which ones they prefer to look at.  However, there is
> definitely an advantage to having one common source for such things.

One advantage of storing the documentation separately from the code is
that a given piece of code can have any number of documentation files.
For example, in the system I sketched above, divisive arguments about
"what belongs in the documentation" could turn (harmlessly) into Git
forks and branches.

If I get inspired, maybe I'll create a sample repo for folks to look
over.  If the basics seem solid, a trial repo could be mechanically
populated from (say) assorted Clojure libraries.

-r

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     r...@cfcl.com

Software system design, development, and documentation