For coordination of this type you could either a) use refs and the STM or b) put them in the same nested datastructure and put them both in an atom. The latter approach is what I would recommend and what people generally tend to do. If you go down this route you end up with the entire state of your game in a single atom. The tradeoffs is that you loose the ability to observe certain changes at a granular layer and you drive the contention to a single point (which has been discussed recently on another thread). On the flip side you end up with a single value that represents your application's state that is easy to work with.