On 30.03.2015 15:12, Lee Spector wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2015, at 7:35 AM, Jony Hudson <jonyepsi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I propose, instead of this discussion, everyone channels their
>> energy into writing an open-source data-science library, or blog
>> post/article promoting Clojure for data science. In their
>> favourite editor, of course!
>>

>> Jony
>

> That's a good idea, but I'd also like to say a bit more about the
> pro/con-emacs discussion, which I hope to be constructive.
>
> I think I actually agree with most of the comments both by the
> emacs critics and the emacs proponents in this thread. Even the
> most intense ones, on both sides. But rather than worrying about
> who is more correct I want to point out that it's entirely
> possible, and would be gloriously beautiful, for an emacs-based
> Clojure environment to be produced that:
>
> - Can be downloaded in a single click and run with one more click
> to do basic Clojure development with no further configuration, on
> Mac/Windows/Linux.
>
> - Provides reasonably standard GUI elements (familiar to any
> computer user without reading a manual) for triggering core
> functionality and for discovering additional features.
>
> As some have mentioned in this thread, a lot of work has been done
> on easing configuration (by people on this list among others) and
> there are some GUI-based packages out there, but as far as I know
> there's nothing that comes close to meeting both of the bullet
> points above. I think that most emacs-based folks either don't
> think this is possible or don't see it as a priority, but something
> like this must be possible (and there have been things close to
> this for other Lisps in the past), and  if it became a reality that
> I would switch to it for all of my coding and teaching and I'd
> evangelize it from the rooftops.
>
> I'm not in a position to do development work on this myself, but I
> believe quite fervently that this would be a fabulous thing for the
> Clojure community.
>
> I'd be happy to discuss this further off-list and/or beta-test
> projects aimed at these goals.

I have failed to setup Emacs for development and used Vim or Eclipse
primarily before entering Clojure-land. emacs-live allowed me to just
execute a shell script and get a decent Clojure environment which I
have used for 2 years until I have reconfigured my emacs having a
better understanding. Its emphasis on live-coding inspired by
composing music is a very compelling. The only thing I had to add to
emacs live was evil-mode, which wasn't too hard.

Also installing packages in emacs 24 is a breeze, no match to Eclipse
plugin repository mess and screw-ups and I don't want to use a closed
source IDE. No matter how many resources you have, being able to run
emacs in a shared tmux session is a big plus. I even have aliased
emacs-client as vim, so I don't have to rethink starting vim for quick
edits and still do it in a common emacs environment. I also find it
interesting that Rich still uses inferior-lisp mode and I think people
get too obsessed with tooling. I usually wait until it really hurts
and then I try to adjust my tooling.

It is really important that the nrepl middleware is shared between
IDEs and I had the impression recently that Cursive and others started
to integrate features directly into the IDE, which I don't think is a
good strategy.

A thankful shoutout again to the emacs-live maintainers!
https://github.com/overtone/emacs-live

Christian