> Ingo Wrote
> >your example has this done in a nice way. But there is also
> one way how this
> >shouldn't be done. www.google.com, when I enter it with a
> german version of
> >the browser I get redirected to www.google.de, no matter
> what. I would call
> >that usability. Since in my understanding usability is about
> letting the
> >user decide.
>
> It is actually worse than that Google uses IP# to determine location
> and switches to national TLD accordingly. I agree it is incredibly
> irritating and you really need to dig deep in the site to switch back
> you preferences. This is  sad for an otherwise fantastic site.

Avoiding the question of whether or not it's good design and believing
that it's simply driven by their advertising requirements - if you click
on the link on the home page labelled "Google.com [English]", they will
set a cookie and you'll never be redirected to google.de again.

It's easy but not explained.
Kevin Speicher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--