On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 15:16, David Boyes <dboye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been used that way forever because that’s what NAMEFIND knew how to
> do, GLOBALV had even more restrictions, everybody had it, and everything
> else cost real money. The VMLINK and VM TCPIP configuration code are
> examples of using it that way. We're not really talking about more than a
> few hundred objects, so I'm not sure performance is an issue.

Since you've opened a book already :-)   It sounds like you're asking for a
programming interface that updates NAMES files, like we have NAMEFIND to
read them. I'm not sure how much attractive that needs to be to compete
with what programs do today, but one way to find out is to open an RFE and
see whether it's a shared interest. Right now I think it's more in the
utility realm than a pipeline stage, but maybe people surprise me with the
use cases.

Rob