Did the IUO tool NAMELIST ever make it out to the wider world? Is looks
like it already does what we are looking for:
                             NAMELIST
                             --------

NAMELIST is a  tool that manages CMS  name files.  It  displays,
updates,
searches and sorts the entries in a name file.

The key features of this tool are described below:

 o  DISPLAY - The display is under user control; which fields display
and
    how they  display is  extremely flexible.   PF6  brings up  an
online
    updatable  user  profile.   One  unusual  use for  NAMELIST  is as
an
    easy-to-use vehicle for  maintaining files  in CMS  "namefile
format"
    which have non-standard tags (i.e. a tag-oriented database).

 o  UPDATE - When updating, a user can specify, in the profile brought
up
    by PF6, that the  PROFS nickname file is to receive  the same
change.
    (Note that the PROFS file only contains Nick, Node, Userid, and
Name)

 o  SEARCH - A wildcard character can be used in a search, and the
search
    can be done on any tagged field.   For example,
                             NAMELIST :node *TLVM*
    will  search the  node  field for  any  entries  that contain
"TLVM"
    anywhere within the  field and list the results  in the
filelist-like
    display that is used by NAMELIST.

 o  SORT - Any field or combination of  fields may be sorted in
ascending
    or descending  order.  The sort  results may be saved  permanently
in
    name file.

DJ

---
DAVID JONES | MANAGING DIRECTOR FOR ZSYSTEMS SERVICES | z/VM, Linux, and
Cloud
703.237.7370 (Office) | 281.578.7544 (CELL)

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY COMPANY