On Thursday, 08/20/2020 at 01:36 GMT, David Boyes <dboye...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Rather than complicate the already baroque syntax of NAMEFIND even
further, I'd
> prefer it to be a separate new application, say NAMEUTIL. It's new
function,
> and probably shouldn't be lumped in with the decades of cruft that
NAMEFIND has
> accumulated.

In which case I'm writing duplicate code.  No, thanks.

And I reject the "cruft" reference.  The NAMEFIND command is very basic.
Not only can it look up based on the break tag, it can search based on
other values:
   NAMEFIND :email.alan_altm...@us.ibm.com :userid (BREAKTAG :dn FILE X500

> I agree with your proposed functionality, though. I'd even add an APPEND
> function if you know in advance that the entry does not exist so you
could skip
> the scan of the file for the keytag that would probably be needed for
ADD.

Only NAMEFIND *knows* if an entry already exists.  Humans are good at
making claims that are untrue.  "It doesn't exist" is one such.

> I'd also really like to skip using the stack now that we can manipulate
REXX
> variables directly. Just set up or return a REXX stem and be done with
it.

Done.  NAMEFIND supports both.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323