Get on Scuttlebutt

From: Martin DeYoung <mdeyo...@deyoungmfg.com>
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 7:57:40 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Sailing Website (racing and cruising)

Edd,

The web site Pressure-Drop.us has a decent mix of sailing news, features and
forums without the wild west style entertainment seen on Sailing Anarchy.
ThreesheetsNW.com does a good job with regional news and features (linked
blogs).  The Daily Sail web site covers serious international racing well.  For
in depth coverage of an event like the Vendee or Volvo races I will use several
sites and the official race web site.  The addition of Yellow Box tracking was
entertaining for this year’s Vic-Maui, Pacific Cup and the Single Handed
Transpac.

I rarely contribute to SailNet and similar sites as the discussions tend to be
at the same basic level year in and year out and are very well covered.  I
never got into the Latt’s and Att’s type sites as I rarely am looking for
stories of alcohol fueled miss-adventure and pot luck dinners.  I also do not
need more magazines or web features about $1,000,000 boats with captains and
cooks.  When I need that fix I buy a glossy magazine and drool over the latest
super boat, usually while sitting in a airport.

What I would like to see is a site that covers the racer/cruiser segment of the
market. (No hopped up 20 something sea lawyers racing all carbon boats on
windward/leeward inshore courses or dreamers that will never actually own a
boat but constantly post what if questions.)  Features about races and voyages
that go somewhere interesting on affordable boats and the people that do their
own boat maintenance and upgrades is more what I am thinking.  The cnc-list
type discussions involving dedicated owners serious about improving their boats
and skills is a good example of content that I currently enjoy.

Advertising that becomes annoying chases me off sites quickly, boat related
adverts with pretty girls are normally tolerated.  I do pay for access to some
types of forums (TDR for Dodge/Cummins trucks for example) when the
quality/value of content is above average.

The ThreesheetsNW and Pressure-Drop forums are very quiet when compared to
Sailing Anarchy.  Finding the balance between moderating the conversation to
prevent anarchy and smothering the conversation to death may be difficult.

Hopefully that is the type of feedback you are looking for.  I hope you are
successful.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43