this will be my practice form now on, let me tell you...  I did stress this
point to the wife as well...

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Gary Nylander" <gnylan...@atlanticbb.net>
To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Edson chain and wire pedestal failure
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 08:53:43 -0400

I don't know how others handle situations like this, but I never leave the
wheel without firming up the brake. I just don't want the rudder to do
anything, period.... Gary----- Original Message -----From:
djhaughey@juno.comTo: cnc-list@cnc-list.comSent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012
8:32 AMSubject: Re: Stus-List Edson chain and wire pedestal failure Okay so,
Here is what I think may have happened.  I think, when I let go of the wheel to
help furl the headsail, the rudder swung hard to port and went right past the
stop.   This allowed the chain to roll right off the sprocket.   When I was
playing around with trying to get it back, I got the chain to cable fitting to
to slip back by the stop on the bulkhead.  What good is a stop if it doesn't
stop anything?  Anyway I guess I should have engaged the break or tied off the
wheel before I let it go.   I'm going to head down tonight and try and remove
the cable and chain to order a new one.  I'm also going to get in the water and
have a look at the prop and shaft as there is some mysterious vibration
happening now...I wonder if the rudder managed to swing so far as to have bent
the brand new $500.00 shaft I just installed...  Or maybe it bent the strut...
The wife is pretty disgusted in the whole ordeal.  she feels we wasted and
entire summer working on this boat only to have this happen and we're not done
working on it and we can't go sailing because we need to make ANOTHER repair
and waste more great weather working on the boat.   I think she has also lost
confidence in the boat...  I tried to take all the blame myself saying we
didn't do enough shake down sailing and that it was my fault for letting go of
the wheel and allowing the rudder to swing...  Her take is that we should be
able to let go of the wheel in a troubled situation and not worry about
becoming disabled...I tend to agree.  As much as we both like the wheel I'm
considering going back to the tiller...or I need to beef up the stops or find a
better solution to prevent this from happening again.  I think, knowing what I
know now, I will be more careful about tying the wheel off.  Or...I don't
know,...  it is hard to believe this has never happened before... Any insights
are always appreciated...  Don't worry about hurting my delicate
sensibilities...  LOL I have to try and get the boat back in the wife's good
graces or I could really end up in a Catalina.... Danny