Another spooking the wife at sea story:

Delivering a C&C 39 back from Hawaii in 1979, my wife's first Pacific crossing,
we experienced:

Refrigeration failure and loss of food (ended up rationing food for 2 weeks)
Galley fire (2 dry chemical ext. to put it out)
A4 engine failure (middle of taking a short cut through the NE Pac. High i.e.
very light wind)
Water shortage (had 24 days of water took 29 to land in Seattle)

We did have some magical days and nights of gentle sailing while working our
way out of the NE Pacific high.  All on board survived the trial and
tribulations but comfort was sacrificed

My best sales job to date was convincing her to make another trip (Honolulu to
San Francisco) in 1981.

How to regain her confidence in an older C&C for anything more than a light air
day trip? Hell'if I know.  Failed that test myself.  I'm wired for adventure
sailing, local or long distance.  She's wired for comfort and social
sailing/boating.

Best ideas I have come up with in over 30 years of working on the problem is to
fly her to the destination while me and my salty friends sail the boat and
experience all the good and less good of voyaging under sail.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43, hull #1
Seattle