From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Della
Barba, Joe
Sent: February 26, 2013 11:13 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Cruising Spinnaker

To add:

99% of the time I am doing this in light air under autopilot. If the wind is
heavy enough to make the boat squirrely under Otto I'll use the genoa
instead. To lower I'll usually pop the shackle off the tack and use the
sheet to pull the sail into the cockpit. I tend to raise the sail from the
mast and then run the halyard aft to lower it from the cockpit. In real
light air it is easy enough to lower it onto the foredeck if you want to. In
a race with DDW legs the boats with poles will beat you AND you might take a
PHRF* hit for being "different" - this is a cruising technique. There really
is nothing quite as nice as making good way in light air under the awning
with a cold drink watching the chute while everyone else is going downwind
in a cloud of exhaust.

* I wonder if anyone would want to make a "cruising chute asym class" where
you don't use bowsprits and set the downwind legs with offset marks. Might
be a lot more fun than JAM racing on a light air day and still be doable
with a small crew.

Joe Della Barba Coquina