Hi Mark
Don't let the mast worry you, nor the single handing issue. I can singlehand Secret Plans fairly easily. I do admit that I keep it on a mooring, I'd be more worried depending on slip locations if that was a factor, but the actual sailing is no worries and my only botched docking event was with a full crew!

With respect the mast, one thing BBYC has the best in the area of, in my opinion, is mast crane. I've put in masts at AYC and DYC, both their cranes are not as good. We can put the mast in ours easily - the biggest hassle in putting my mast up is just getting enough guys to help move it off the rack, it is a solid 51' of aluminum. The electric/hydraulic crane is great in that it will haul the mast up where you want it and hold it indefinitely while things get sorted. If you proceed with a C&C 30 and need a hand with the mast give me a yell.

Good boat hunting!

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2013-03-19 4:30 PM, Dr. Mark Bodnar wrote:

Graham,
Now I understand the clearance issue - the ability to lift the boat up on top of the cradle. I guess that could be a challenge. Anyone know the height of the boat above waterline? I guess it really depends on the length of the lifting straps, boat width, and height of the boat - plus the design of the cradle -- might not know for sure until the first time we try a haul. I didn't think about the fact that I would need a cradle rather than jack stands - I'll have to add that to the budget (guessing $2000-2500). Might be able to find used.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. If I buy the boat I'm sure I will have a ton more questions.

Yes, I'm aware the mast on the 30 can't be hand stepped. I watched a different 30 footer pulling the mast back in the fall - looks like a pretty tricky job even with a crane. I know the weight may be pushing the crane capacity - they don't have a load cell that I know of, but I figure it's technically below the weight, I'll make sure I'm minimizing load before it's hauled. I'm pretty sure the current boat I'm looking at is a fin keel, not shoal. Not planning any racing, but who knows as kids get older. I'll likely leave the main traveler right where it is for a while. Looked at a lot of boat options. Also like the C&C 29's. Saw one 33 for sale, good price, but I thought that would be getting too big for me to solo and maintain. Likely not that much different, but I have to admit part of me is scared of the jump, the 24 is so easy to handle and maintain, I'm worried I'm biting off a lot more effort rather than more sailing!

Mark

  Dr. Mark Bodnar
B.Sc., D.C., FCCOPR(C)
Bedford Chiropractic
www.bedfordchiro.ca

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana