Seriously looking at another boat. Checked out a local C&C 29 mkII on Sunday.

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-C-C-29-MK-II-W0QQAdIdZ474384947

Overall the boat looked good. The paint job on the hull was rough (needs a good sanding and new bottom coat).

The boat is on a trailer - which makes it easier to move the 90 min drive home, and the trailer allows for easier yard management (assuming the hoist can get the boat high enough to put it to bed). He reports the sails in "good shape" (but no spinnaker), engine supposedly runs well (not in water to test), hull looks good with no dimples or dings (although there is some minor damage at the stern where someone likely backed into a slip too hard), teak and holly sole is a bit rough (no mold but finish is beat up), dodger and sail cover reported to "have a year or 2 left in them", cushions ok (few years left in fabric)

The seller is asking $22500.  Maybe offer $17000-18000 firm?

(I have had a few emails with a new list member, Bob Dryer, looking to sell a C&C 29 II in Long Island sound for $14500 --- but that's a long way away, hard to look at the boat plus the cost of getting it back and the fact that I'd have to buy a cradle - all together, if I can get a local boat for $4000 the price is pretty even)

NADA average value of a 1983 C&C 29 II is $13000
-----------------
Also - Thinking of looking at a Cal 9.2, 1982, listed at $20000
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-Cal-9-2-Sailboat-Price-Reduced-W0QQAdIdZ493465591
(NADA value at $13800)
Plus another Cal 9.2 listed at $15K (but no pictures).

Any thoughts? I'm not familiar with the Cal boats. Reading online the comments are that the Cal is more tender and that the diesel is raw water cooled (which can lead to more issues as they age). Overall online comments are not positive - seems the design may play to the worst parts of the IOR rules. Also some negative comments about decks etc.

I don't want a poorly behaved boat that I can't manage in gusty winds or something that will ruin sailing for the kids --- maybe I'm answering my own thoughts on the Cal? Can't say I like the way the pinched rear end looks either!

Any thoughts appreciated,
Mark

--

  Dr. Mark Bodnar

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana