No Discharge means NOTHING overboard within 3 NM of the coast or the Colregs
Line on the chart. There are a few official No Discharge areas along the east
coast, with the largest being the waters of Rhode Island and the Florida Keys.
(I found it ironic that, a couple of months after Rhode Island had the whole
state declared a no discharge zone, the city of Providence pumped 625,000
gallons of raw sewage into Naraganset Bay; municipalities don’t need to comply
with the same regs that we do.) You can find a complete list of official No
Discharge zones on the USCG website.

For the rest of the east coast, the rule is no discharge of UNTREATED WASTE
within 3 miles of shore or the Colregs line. A Type 1 MSD, Lectra-San being
probably the most common, treats the waste. Actually a Lectra-San, at one time,
had to meet more restrictive standards for treatment than a municipal water
treatment system. Go figure. So discharge from a Lectra-San is legal almost
anywhere on boats up to 65 feet in length in recreational use or as an
Uninspected Passenger Vessels.

I’d need to look at the USCG website to see if the Great Lakes are a No
Discharge zone, or if the discharge of untreated waste is what is restricted.
Since I’m unlikely to be going there anytime soon, I’ve never looked at the
requirements.

I kept a small holding tank in my system for use in No Discharge areas, but so
far I’ve not been in one so I’ve not had to use it.

And as I read the information, many of the no discharge zones (like the Keys
and Assiteage and Chincoteage in Chesapeake Bay) are no discharge zones because
of the impact of the organic compounds and nitrogen compounds that remain in
the treated waste on sensitive marine environments (wetlands) and fisheries
like oyster beds where you might contribute to an algae bloom.

Rick Brass