If you're looking for a permanent installation in NC, for light coastal cruising and weekends, on a 30 foot boat with decent insulation, I'd go with a basic tried and true Adler Barber system. Air cooled, Danfoss compressor (because Danfoss compressors are everywhere) and easy to install.

As John mentioned, I'm somewhat famous for spending 3.5K on my fridge/freezer/insulation system. Really, strangers have come up to me and said 'You're the guy who built that refrigerator.' I've never regretted it. But it was designed for handling tropical temps when away from shore power for weeks or months at a time. It does that perfectly, except when cockroaches die inside the thermostat and short out the wires. (How many milliamps does it take to kill a cockroach? I don't care...) <G>

Regarding the plug-in stand alone units: Actually, they are great. If you can find a good place for it. I have known two folks down here who bought one, because he/she didn't deal with refrigeration before going south and wanted ice cream to stay frozen, and also realized that if you want chicken to be good in a month you'd better have a good freezer.

I'm talking about the good Marine plug-in models, not a Coleman that you pick up at the hardware store.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I had a 1991 Coleman 12V cooler on this boat for a couple of years while working through the refrigeration planning, and it worked. I only put it on the boat because it was sitting in the garage and I figured if it was worthless I'd toss it, but it actually got the job done. I unplugged it before going sailing, because it was a constant draw and had the intelligence of a chicken, but it was well insulated and kept milk and cheese fresh between weekends. I wouldn't put a dumb cooler on the boat unless I had a smart battery charger.

John wrote:
I still think the little portable coolers with built in compressors are the
most efficient things around.  Many folks on this list have gone with much more
involved projects and will almost certainly have good advice. Insulation is the
key.

--
s/v Stella Blue
www.wbryant.com