Allen,

When I sailed our trailer sailor we used a portable cooler that plugged
into the cigarette lighter.   It worked BUT, some things to consider:
The ones I've seen use Peltier plates for cooling.
It drew about 5amps
There was no thermostat
It would only cool about 30 degrees below outside air.  Most of the time
that is fine but some times not cool enough and other times you would get
frozen food.
The portable cooler will obviously take up precious space.  We had already
removed the "table" so this went in it's place and tripled as a nav table,
kitchen counter, and dinner table.

Many of the installed systems use very similar aldour-baurber compressors.
When I talked to the nova-cool rep he said that a 100amp solar panel should
be able to keep up with the refrigeration needs.  So you figure they are
drawing an AVERAGE of 4-5 amps.  Though, while mine is cycling on I see
about 10-12amps.

You might find deconstructing a portable cooler and removing the peltier
plate and installing it in your exsisting ice box to be a cost effective
solution.  I would try to find a thermostat (maybe from a an old
refrigerator) to control the temperature.

Remember a single 90-100 A/Hr battery sould be discharged no lower than
45-50 A/Hr so you would get about 9-10 hours of refrigeration.

You can also combine ice and refrigeration to extend both.

Good luck,
Josh Muckley