What would anybody do? I would first cry out "OH GOD OH GOD" Then I would
calm my self. I have a cable driven edson Wheel. I also have an emergency
fitting in the cockpit floor were a tiller can be attached. I have the
emergency tiller in the forward birth. If I lost the rudder I would "heave
too" and call sea-tow with my GPS location.
If I lost an exhaxh hose I would Shut down the engine turn off the seacock,
Heave too and call sea-tow.
If I Lost power I have a hand held VHF and a cell phone. I would follow a
magnetic course west until I had sight of land then Heave too and fire a
flair or two.
Lets face it 14 miles out or 3 1/2 hours out 3 1/2 hours back and 14 miles
up the river. Almost  48 miles of the  trip will be in sight of land.7
hours off shore.
I have not taken a safety at sea course? But that I would love to find
local if you know of a place in the Savannah -HHI- Beaufort or Charleston
area I would like to take one. For sure.
Thanks Curtis