At our club and most around here we have to step/unstep every season for
winter storage. I did the 32 for the first time this year (having kept it
at a mast-up yard last winter) with just me, my girlfriend, and another
friend on the crane. Wasn't ideal, but we did it without any danger to
ourselves or the boat. I've helped others at our club with their smaller
boats but never a keel stepped mast as big as mine. The 32 is the biggest
boat at our club .. yeah, I'm *that* guy.

The following is just the way I do it, not necessarily the best way. I'm
all ears if anyone has recommendations.

- Set the sling under the spreaders and put a bit of tension on it.
- Start loosening the turnbuckles, slowly, bit by bit side to side to keep
the mast straight. There's a point where you loosen the rig enough that the
crane starts to be the thing holding the mast up, hopefully the person
operating the crane is paying attention. The mast will move around, you can
see that in Bill's video actually. It's a little alarming once the tension
is off the rig because it'll move around as the boat moves. Trust the
crane. Being keel stepped this is less alarming than with a deck stepped
mast.
- Once the crane is supporting the mast you can disconnect the
shrouds/stays. I always undo the forestay last but that's just me, not sure
if that's correct.
- You are keel stepped I believe...make sure all your wiring is
disconnected down below(step one actually). Someone should be at the base
of the mast (deck level, not below) helping to guide it up and more
importantly, as someone mentioned, to keep it from swinging end over once
clear of the deck.
- Slowly raise the mast out of the step. Once it clears the deck that
person holding the mast starts taking it forward (or aft, whatever works)
as the crane operator lowers it. One person on the forestay/furler as
someone mentioned.

Three is enough but if you don't know what you're doing hang around and
watch the experienced people doing it for a while. It's not rocket surgery
and in my opinion $400 is boat bucks better used elsewhere. Hopefully you
can find some experienced helpers that'll work for beer.

Words of advice:
Cotter pins, turnbuckles and tools sink really fast, careful with those.

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto