Steve,

I have owned a 40 for 10 years.   My comments in red;

...commodious anchor locker, windlass or at least a good place to mount one.

The 40 has a large anchor locker and room for a windlass.  I saw one installed
(next on my list) and it worked fine

...A nice interior that will make the
admiral happy, specifically a proper galley.

The 40 has a great galley.  Human sized.

...If I could do it all on a C&C 40 that would be the boat. Lack
of tankage can be partially addressed with a water maker

We have sixty gallons and can add an additional bladder but the watermaker is
in my plans for crossing the pond

...but it still
fails on the ventilation bit

Never had  problem especially with fans.

...and fuel tankage ... unless you guys can
convince me otherwise.

Added a 15 gallon bladder tank behind engine for a total of 35.  Would like
more but if you keep RPMS low when motoring (1500 rpm) she will do 5-6 knots in
calm water while sipping fuel.

...I get the impression from pictures that they lack
 storage (cubbies, cabinets, etc).

Storage is not bad but we are converting pilots into storage cabinets to
increase.

....They are priced right though and
would leave enough money for a refit. Also, draft may be an issue.

They do have  centerboard version...although my deep keel goes to weather like
a nobody's business

... I
really do love them though, totally based on aesthetics :) and not
ashamed to admit that. Looks ARE important. All signs point to the 40
being a good sailor too and that's high on the list for both of us.
We're not interested in getting around in an old shoe.

And we too would like a shower stall.   But when warm we shower in the cockpit
anyway.

I still sigh when looking back at her.

Call me if you want more feedback.

David F. Risch