Steve,

If memory serves me, Barients and Barlow winches are rated in pounds.  So, a
Barient 18 would handle 1800 pounds of load.

Modern winches are numbered by power ratio (with 10 inch handle). So to find an
equivalent winch, determine the power ratio of your winch and look for the
Lewmar, Harken, etc. that best matches.

Also look at the base diameter.  You probably want to cover the footprint of
the old winch.

If you're replacing a cabin top winch with a more powerful winch, you may need
to strengthen the mounting area. This is NOT as simple as just installing a
backing plate.

Dennis C.
Touché 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA