Not much question here Dwight:

if the other boat was sailing a lower course to the mark there was overlap
unless the other boat was clear ahead
if the other boat was sailing faster and there was any concern about
overlap at the mark then the boats were overlapped at the circle or David
was clear ahead
David was laying the mark

Tim