Alan, you make it sound simple enough as does Andrew in quoting Rule 18.if
it were that simple my question then is; why did David say in his write up,
I did not know who had rights.  Probably the other boat did not know who had
rights either, yet Rule 18 is not that difficult to understand as it is
written on paper and your explanation is easy to understand
too.understanding of the written rule and application of the rule on the
water at mark roundings is, on the other hand, often a judgement call.not
having knowledge of the rules or how they apply on the water or maybe even
having that knowledge but pushing the limits of the rule can cause
unecessary collisions.like I said earlier the issue is not so crystal clear
to me from Davids recollection of what happened but it is troublesome that
he did not know who had rights and maybe the same could be said for the
other boat yet they were still out there sailing rather expensive vessels on
a possible collision course in close proximity to one another.we all know
that sailboats don't have very good brakes and they carry a lot of
momentum.it is very good however that one boat finally did give way and no
collision happened.racing rules can work but all sailors need to know and
understand how they apply in given situations and they need to obey the
rules or else they should take a break from racing and do some
study.knowledge of the rules at the start, at crossings on course and mark
roundings are particularly critical because that is where most collion
possibilities are encountered.  I do not know anything about David's racing
experience but I am hoping that this event and the discussion we have had
here will encourage him to study the rules so that he never has to say
again, I did not know who had rights, and I hope we all know that we must
take all possible action to avoid collision with another boat regardless of
who has rights according to the rules of racing

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS

  _____