Agree. If you race - even in "fun" races you should know the rules - especially
those that are designed to prevent expensive accidents.  On mark roundings I
believe the hardest part is determining when and who entered the 3 boat length
zone first and whether an overlap existed but even this gets easier if one
remembers that if there is any doubt, it is assumed the inside boat was
overlapped and thus has rights.

Here is another rule quandary that happened at our club recently

RC sets up the line with the pin on its port side. Triangular course -
clockwise - twice round.  Boats 1, 2 & 3 lead to the windward mark- remember
the pin was to port at the start and round the windward mark to port -
effectively turning through more than 360 degrees to head off on the reach to
the next mark. Boat 4 remembers the "taught string rule" ( not crossing ones
wake) and rounds to starboard. After the first mark, all boats round subsequent
marks to starboard

What would the outcome be should it have gone to protest?

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III