Drug and medical testing wasn't cheap either.  We also had to get a TWIC
card at ~$137 a piece.
I second Josh's comments about Mariners Learning System - but I had the
hard copy books (as well as online / DVD's) and found myself using them on
long flights, making notes etc.  I passed the test easily after taking the
course - I added a couple of apps to my phone for light / signal flash
cards that came in handy.  I would recommend Mariners Learning System - if
you are OK learning from materials / on your own.  Just to note, this was
not my first experience with certification, having done the RYA tests when
I lived in England.

Getting the correct medical and drug testing done is not as simple as it
sounds.

Tim