Agreed on the 2nd point.  And yes, there are still time-on-the-water
requirements:

http://www.maritimeinstitute.com/license_requirements.html

I’ve been torn on the whole question of getting licensed; yes, you can captain
vessels for pay (deliveries, excursions, etc.).  But even if you’re not “on the
clock” and are involved in an accident (like on your own vessel), whether or
not you’re at fault, there are some legal ramifications that aren’t there if
you’re not CG-licensed.

So I’ve held off on getting my ticket.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis