I’ve heard so many bad stories about hydraulic backstay adjusters that I don’t
doubt them.  Having said that I never had a problem with one on three boats
over 15 years.  Certainly not the type of failure you’re referring to.

Without a split  backstay your options are limited.  Personally I consider the
mechanical adjusters to be worthless.  Just too slow and not enough power… and
a nuisance as others mentioned.  You could go very old school and try very
beefy blocks led to a dedicated winch but that has its own set of problems and
cost.  Short of that, its hydraulic - either self contained units or components
which are even more expensive.  I can’t say I’ve heard much difference from
brand N to S.

After 25 years you may want to cut the Navtec unit a little slack.  A new unit
is probably your best option.  Of course, you could say the hell with it a just
put a turnbuckle in.  Depends how you use the boat.

John