I appreciate the advice and the fact that others were also concerned motived me
to take the day off from work and try to solve the problem.  I found the water
in the intake strainer frozen, but no obvious damage.  I put a space heater in
the engine compartment for 3-4 hours and gave it a while after the obvious ice
had melted, then started up the engine.  The antifreeze pumped through normally
and all appears well.  I am glad I did not leave it for 3 more days to worry
about.  Dave

BTW- This was the second time I have used my new winterizing approach and I am
very happy with it.  I ran tygon tube from deck level into the engine intake
port on the bottom near the keel.  With the right diameter tubing, it fits
snugly into the opening and form a decent seal. I then fill the tubing with
antifreeze from deck level and stick the end into a bucket of antifreeze up on
the deck so I get a siphon (probably not necessary with the suction from the
engine but I want it up there anyway to monitor the level).  Start the engine
and wait for the thermostat to open (it takes a few minutes) and it sucks the
antifreeze through the system.  I find this much easier than trying to get
antifreeze into the system from the engine compartment and it means I can watch
the bucket and the exhaust while the engine is running and do it all solo.

On Nov 18, 2014, at 11:03 PM, Chuck S <cscheaf...@comcast.net> wrote:

> As you know, fresh water freezes before saltwater.  If it was one day I might
> risk it.  Three days of freezing out of the water, I think you have to do
> something.
>
> If there truly is nothing you can do, you've done all you can, don't worry.
> But I always think there is something we can do.  Can you call someone to get
> a heater on board?  Can you at least get someone to put a Droplight in the
> engine compartment?  A single 100 watt lightbulb should be all that is
> needed.
>
> FYI, I worked halfday Monday, took care of all my obligations making sure my
> three schools had heat, took a half day off, drove 2 1/2 hrs to winterize my
> boat in the water, in the dark, drove 2 1/2 hrs home to be able to work
> today.
>

> Chuck
> Resolute
> 1990 C&C 34R