Elevated moisture readings from a moisture meter are not always indicative of
moisture.  Further investigation is required.  A surveyor would know how to do
this.  And YES I would whole heartedly agree with the surveyor - a new boat may
be dry but the old boat is solid.

Our 1987 J27 had a cored hull while the C&C 33-1 does not.  With a balsa cored
hull moisture readings are a concern.  On our Spring 2013 survey an area
forward and to port of keel approx. 1 ft wide by 2 ft long was identified as
showing elevated moisture levels.  Last year in Spring of 2014 I decided to
replace the core in that area from the inside.  So I removed the head, the sole
under the head and other components to get at the hull.  Then I cut out an
initial 4 x 4 inch section in the middle of this area which my moisture meter
also indicated as high.  The balsa was bone dry.  Next I drilled from inside 10
1/2 inch pilot holes all over this area to check the core.  In all cases was
bone dry.  When I contacted my surveyor the next day we determined that the
excessive coats of interprotect 2000E in the areas near the keel stub could be
the culprit for the false reading.  I had put one coat on Interprotect on
entire hull but the pebbly surface texture bothered me so much that that w
 as all I put on except around the keel stub extending out a foot or so where I
put on 6 coats.

If you like the boat then do a bit more examination and if good buy it. I would
be more concerned about the condition of the engine in a 33-1 than I would the
solid glass hull.

Mike
Persistence
Frers 33 #16