David;

Previous owners, shade tree mechanics, and inexperienced/inexpensive
mechanics often make repairs or modifications that are ill advised or less
than optimal. For example, I recently helped one of the boaters on our City
Docks diagnose why his recently replaced fuel gauge did not seem to work
reliably. Turned out the guy who replaced the gauge had gotten power from
the glow plug button - the downstream side of the glow plug button - so the
fuel gauge was only powered up when the glow plug button was pushed.

Universals and Westerbekes are designed to be wired and started in the
manner described in the owner's manual. I would restore the wiring to what
is shown in the wiring diagram, for a couple of reasons.

Regarding the 8V at the starter solenoid terminal: You saw battery voltage
(about 12.6v) on the hot side of the starter button with the button not
pushed, 0v on the output side of the starter button with the start button
not pushed, and then 8v at the solenoid terminal when the button was pushed.
When you push the button you are energizing the coil of the solenoid and
creating what is almost a dead short across the solenoid. What you were
measuring between the solenoid terminal and ground is the voltage drop that
results from resistance in the coil, resistance in the metal of the starter,
resistance across the bolts holding the starter in place, and resistance in
the metal of the block as the current travels from the solenoid terminal to
the ground wire. 8v is a bit lower than I would expect, but I see nothing
unusual in such a reading. Your starter and solenoid are fine.

As Neil pointed out, pressing the glow plug button does a lot of things.

Of course it powers the glow plugs, which are in essence a high resistance
short in the wiring, and the voltage at the output side of the glow plug
button will drop into the 11.5v to 12.0 v range. Powering the glow plugs
heats the air flowing into the combustion chambers, which is needed for a
cold start and improves starting during hot starts. In indirect injection
diesels (where fuel is injected into the airflow before the intake valve
instead of directly into the hot compressed air just before the conclusion
of the compression stroke) the glow plugs are needed to get good initial
combustion. Hot air makes the starting easier and faster, reduces the load
and cranking time on your starter, and ultimately how much current you draw
from the battery to start the engine.

The glow plug button also powers the electric lift pump that supplies fuel
at 4 or 5 PSI (it might be as high as 7 PSI, but I don't recall exactly)
through the engine fuel filter to the inlet of the high pressure injection
pump. That lift pump coming up to pressure is the rapid clicking sound you
hear for the first few seconds after you push the glow plug button. After
the engine starts, the pump is powered off the oil pressure switch as Neil
described.  In a hot start situation without power to the lift pump, the
high pressure pump will supply fuel to the injectors for a few engine
rotations. But if the engine does not start the pump will be starved for
fuel and the engine will not start. Fuel starvation becomes more likely as
your fuel filters get plugged over time.

As I said, I'd put the wiring back to what it was supposed to be according
to the manual and the wiring diagram.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC