Mark,

You have to release the main sheet AND vang when hoisting on the halyard.
This is the case with or without a topping lift.

In your case you have been pulling the leech (trailing edge) full tight and
attempting to lift the end of the boom against the main sheet and vang.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD