From: Rick Brass via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:22 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Rick Brass
Subject: Re: Stus-List Rigid vang

If you are unable to get proper luff tension when raising the main, and you
suspect the cause may be the tension on the leach of the sail, then the problem
is most likely that you have not loosened the mainsheet (or vang if you have
one) sufficiently before raising the sail. The weight of the boom shouldn't be
a problem.

As Dennis pointed out, the topping lift causes a lot of wear on the leach of
the main. And as Lee pointed out, it's major effect when sailing is to negate
any adjustments you do make to the mainsheet and vang, and to screw up tacks in
light air. On my 25 (where the end of the boom is only about 2 feet ahead of
the backstay) the topping lift spent probably a third of its life wrapped
around the backstay and giving me fits. I was really glad to get rid of the
verdamte thing.

Josh said the topping lift might be useful to let the main twist off when
slightly overcanvassed. You can accomplish the same thing by slightly loosening
the mainsheet or the vang (if you have one); the pressure of the wind will
increase the twist. Conversely, if you want to flatten the leach while not hard
on the wind, tightening the mainsheet will pull in on the boom while it pulls
down on the leach - which may not be optimal. The vang will control the leach
tension independent of boom position, so you can use sheet and traveler to
adjust the position of the boom.

When reefing, releasing the rigid vang will raise the end of the boom ( and you
won't need to stand on the cabin top or side of the cockpit to do the
adjustment). And when you are done setting the reef, a pull on the vang will
tighten up the leach and adjust the twist of the sail.

I have Garhauer rigid vangs on both my boats, and no topping lifts. Main
halyard gets attached to the end of the boom and snugged against the vang when
the sail is down to stop halyard slap and to keep the boom from rocking side to
side. I am a very happy camper.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1