If you are unable to get proper luff tension when raising the main, and you
suspect the cause may be the tension on the leach of the sail, then the
problem is most likely that you have not loosened the mainsheet (or vang if
you have one) sufficiently before raising the sail. The weight of the boom
shouldn't be a problem.

As Dennis pointed out, the topping lift causes a lot of wear on the leach of
the main. And as Lee pointed out, it's major effect when sailing is to
negate any adjustments you do make to the mainsheet and vang, and to screw
up tacks in light air. On my 25 (where the end of the boom is only about 2
feet ahead of the backstay) the topping lift spent probably a third of its
life wrapped around the backstay and giving me fits. I was really glad to
get rid of the verdamte thing.

Josh said the topping lift might be useful to let the main twist off when
slightly overcanvassed. You can accomplish the same thing by slightly
loosening the mainsheet or the vang (if you have one); the pressure of the
wind will  increase the twist. Conversely, if you want to flatten the leach
while not hard on the wind, tightening the mainsheet will pull in on the
boom while it pulls down on the leach - which may not be optimal. The vang
will control the leach tension independent of boom position, so you can use
sheet and traveler to adjust the position of the boom.

When reefing, releasing the rigid vang will raise the end of the boom ( and
you won't need to stand on the cabin top or side of the cockpit to do the
adjustment). And when you are done setting the reef, a pull on the vang will
tighten up the leach and adjust the twist of the sail.

I have Garhauer rigid vangs on both my boats, and no topping lifts. Main
halyard gets attached to the end of the boom and snugged against the vang
when the sail is down to stop halyard slap and to keep the boom from rocking
side to side. I am a very happy camper.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1