Hmm, I think you're right. I need to check what's on my vent line when back
at the boat - I thought it looked like a check valve but now I think it may
be something like the Attwood vent line surge protector (prevents fuel from
spilling out the vent line when filling the tank).

I thought it was a non-return valve (like used with bilge pumps) but now
realize that's probably impossible - air needs to enter to prevent a vacuum
from forming as fuel is burned, and exit for tank expansion or filling the
tank. The vent line is looped up about a foot however and the vent
thru-hull is a fuel tank vent (very small hole) which should hopefully be
enough.

Attwood has a number of interesting products actually, including a p-trap
vent which is supposed to completely prevent water entering:
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/category/fuel/fuel-tank-vents