Josh,

I used Sika 295 UV with the Sika primer to install new windows 6 years ago....my windows just fit into the cabin side recess with no frames or screws so the adhesive has to be good. My two forward windows must also curve when recessed to fit the cabin top so holding them in place to allow the Sika to cure was an important part of the installation.

From the VHB tape..... "just press with your knee"....even if I had used VHB tape, I still think I would have braced the windows as I did.....I cut 2" X 4"'s to lay on the windows and braced against the toerail with 10lb. on each.....3 pieces of wood per window.

Masking tape inside and outside.....do one window at a time....had Sika oozing out all around, inside and outside, remove masking tape as soon as window is braced, before the adhesive sets up which is fine with Sika 295....you have lots of time.

My Acura recently had a windshield replaced.....the adhesive was a Sika product with a Sika primer.....the guy said the only significant difference between what I used on my boat windows and the car windshield was the 'curing time'.....the windshield stuff cures much faster....understandable from a business perspective.

I like the 'simplicity' of the VHB tape versus the Sika 295 & primer but if the tape is that good, why haven't the auto windshield industry converted to it?

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

The attached PDF had pretty good guidance. I would choose the thickest tape which can still fit under the windows. Maybe even double layers. I have a friend who used the 4941 series. After looking at the PDF it looks like the 5952 series has better adhesive qualities and possibly higher adhesion for the fiberglass and polycarbonate that we're using. The 5958FR has the highest PSI to thickness ratio. I suggest thicker to allow the tape to press into any irregularities. Thicker also allows for more differential expansion of the glass and frame.

As much as I like the VHB tape I still can't help but think to the auto industry. They use a urethane made by Sika for windshields. It has to be primed and heated. It cures in about an hour. I wonder if a combination of VHB tape and sika-flex might be smart. VHB to get a nice interior finish and sika for a permanent weatherproof bond and glazing.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD