Hi Martin& Dave,

I've been involved with 4 in-the-water boat deck restorations here in an area just north of the PNW, (around Lat 49' 10 - 30" N.)

Since winter is a good time for in-the-water boat work in our area, all were covered with a 2x4 & 1x4 framework peaked over the boom and covered in plastic (poly or trap) down to the toe-rail. All marinas have a "no sanding" policy but not one of us suffered a complaint, maybe due to the containment, lack of traffic at this time of year and good vacuum practices. Or perhaps because we are all, just good fellows. I like to believe the latter. :)

As you might imagine, these enclosures are very pleasant to work in during our typical winter.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1, B.C. South Coast

At 06:25 PM 11/11/2015, you wrote:

>… quick post in my blog showing the tools…

Dave,

I took a look at your new blog post detailing the tools you have used on the window frame clean up. Nice write up, thanks.

I am jealous about your having access to compressed air and working where you can use it. Where Calypso is moored there are restrictions on what work can be done in a slip. I am already dancing down the line with electric sanding/grinding equipment and I am sure running a compressor and air tools would get me kicked out.

I believe many of the cnc-listers that are facing a DIY window or other deck repair/replacement project need to limit the mess, repainting, or do not have the experience and confidence to perform “body and fender” type work on the shiny parts of a boat. I recall the day when Calypso’s co-owner and I finally faced up to the amount of repair Calypso’s deck needed and accepted a full repaint would be needed. Once freed from the need to limit shiny paint damage we got out the big boy grinding and sanding equipment which greatly sped up the early phases of the repairs.

This month marked to point where way more hand sanding is needed with the resulting wear and tear on the arms and wrists (as you mention in your blog post). I have been using hand sanding blocks and foam shapes (purchased from auto body repair equip sources) to improve the hand sanding ergonomics especially around the many corners and rounded shapes of a C&C. The sticky back sand paper option increased efficiency over the old school paper clamps. I have had good luck sourcing abrasives through several web sites including Industrial Abrasives.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle