Only the keel drags …

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Andrew
Burton via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2015 3:39 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Andrew Burton
Subject: Re: Stus-List Winter discussions - depth sounder offset

Funny, for me time spent sailing is all too fleeting. But I suppose if I was
sailing in waters where I had 6" under my keel, the days might seem to drag...
Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine
Newport, RI

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Jim Watts via CnC-List
134 years is a lot of sailing time.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC

On 21 December 2015 at 10:28, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List
We always offset to show depth under the keel.  For Nav purposes it is simple
to add 6 feet but while sailing I don’t want to take that extra step of
performing mental calculations when in skinny water.  We spent 134 years
sailing in a very shallow area where often the 0.5 was the number of feet under
the keel.  The channel entering and exiting the marina would also often read
close to 0.0 so we would watch this closely to determine if we had to wait for
more tide …

Mike

Andrew Burton
61 W Narragansett Ave