Josh has a good point. In some/most states you can get a title for your boat,
but documentation is like a national title with a lien that can’t be ignored.
So most lenders prefer that you register the mortgage with the USCG and get the
documentation. Even the local credit union where I took out a piddly $30k loan
to buy Imzadi in 2003 wanted the boat to have a mortgage registered with the
USCG.

I documented the boat primarily to enable cruising outside the US.
Documentation is actually a legal requirement, though it is often ignored.

I sometimes use the boat as an uninspected passenger vessel with paying guests
and, while documentation is not an actual requirement, I understand the USCG
boardings go a lot smoother if you are documented.

North Carolina started requiring registration of documented vessels in 2014,
and now we must put a sticker on both sides of the bow to show state
registration. But for the first 11 years I didn’t need those ugly numbers on
the hull and I saved the $25 a year on state registration costs.

I also like the paper trail that goes along with documentation. I know Imzadi’s
former names and who the former owners were all the way back to April 1976 when
she was first documented.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC