I'm surprised so many people on here are USCG documented. I thought USCG
documentation (as opposed to merely state registration) is mostly only
beneficial to those traveling internationally. (and not everyone commenting
travels internationally).

So if you don't travel outside of the US and Canada, what motivated you to
go USCG documented?  There's a small fee savings sometimes (USCG fee is
one-time while state is annual), but not much - USCG documentation doesn't
exempt you from state excise taxes (if any). And Washington state requires
state registration even if you're USCG documented, except for exempt
vessels (mainly commercial vessels). So no fee savings for Washington.

-Patrick
C&C LF38
Seattle, WA