From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Stevan
Plavsa via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 10:03 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Stevan Plavsa
Subject: Re: Stus-List solar power setup

I purchased a 65watt mono panel with charge controller and cables from these
guys:
http://stores.ebay.ca/solarenergydcinc/
All told IIRC it was $250 CAD, maybe $300. Not a lot of money when talking boat
stuff.

That was back in 2013. The setup has served very well. People are right to
recommend a quality MPPT charge controller but I found the return on investment
when dealing with sub 100 watt panels to be minimal and not worth it. At the
time a cheap PWM controller is what came with my kit and it has been fine now
for over 2 seasons. It also has useful features like an LCD screen that shows
how many amps I'm generating, the entry level morningstar controllers don't do
that. I spent money on nice fittings for my bimini to mount the thing and I'm
glad I did because take down and setup in fall and spring are easy and the
mounting is very secure.

Suhana was on a wet mooring since I first launched her in 2012. It was
important to maintain the batteries somehow. Our consumption is low enough that
the 65 watt panel served very well on a three week cruise. Last thing I'll
mention is that the batteries are an unknown age, ie; older than 2011 when I
purchased her. I believe the solar panel has a lot to do with them still being
alive. New Trojan T-105s are on the menu for spring and we'll have shore power
now for the first time :)

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List
Someone asked me about my solar panel setup.
I have one of these – a 50 watt panel:
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Volts-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B00DVPPFDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456843564&sr=8-1&keywords=renogy+50+watt
I have this controller
-http://www.amazon.com/SunGuard-Charge-Controller-Regulator-Morningstar/dp/B000O3O0W2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456843683&sr=8-3&keywords=morningstar+solar
I have the panel on a long cord and plug it in to a trolling motor plug when
using it. It does a good job with the batteries when I am on my mooring.
Joe
Coquina C&C 35 MK I