From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, April 8, 2016 14:24
To: C&C List
Cc: Josh Muckley
Subject: Re: Stus-List Boom fittings for reefing attachments

Awesome guys! Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like "that's just the way
it is". Nobody in the industry has necessarily come up with anything earth
shatteringly better.

As I think I eluded to earlier, I'm averse to whimsically drilling holes in the
boom. Besides, I'm not sure a track or block necessarily looks cleaner so I'll
probably stick with a tied on method.

Does anybody have any thoughts on using a soft shackle and an eye splice to
attach the reefing lines around the boom?

I was also considering a single line reefing system. One challenge is that
where most setups have the line exit the boom at the mast and turn up to the
reef cringle, my boom is solid on top AND my aversion to drilling holes extends
to the mast as well. So if I tried a single line reef, it would have the line
turn down to the mast collar (like it did previously) but instead of simply
running back to the cabin (winch and jammer), the line would run back up to the
reef cringle, and back down on the other side of the boom to another turning
block which would lead back to the winch and cleat where it would finish.

Thoughts on my plan?

Thoughts on single line reefing? I've heard some pretty strong arguments
against and only a few advocates.

Thanks again,
Josh

On Apr 8, 2016 1:49 PM, "Martin DeYoung via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

  >...1 1/4 inch, t track mounted on the side of the boom...

  Calypso's boom has a similar T track on each side of the boom. I still tie
the reefing lines around the boom and have seen very little paint wear.

  The tracks on Calypso's boom were installed long ago and may also act as
stiffeners as the mid boom main sheet attachments are near the tracks.

  Best regards,

  Martin
  Calypso
  1971 C&C 43