Tom,

Running a diesel like that under no-load conditions won’t help it much.
Running it at the slip in gear would provide some load to the engine and be
more beneficial.  We usually have a 45 to 60 minute motor to the race course,
which helps keep the engine in top shape.  I usually set it at 2,800 rpm and
keep it there.  Always idle it for a few minutes before shutdown too.  This
will help cool down the internal parts before you shut it down.

Jake

Jake Brodersen

C&C 35 Mk-III “Midnight Mistress”

Hampton VA