Tom,

As a person in the rope business, the information included in the attached
article is spot on, but he neglects to include the most commonly used fiber for
standing rigging: PBO aka Zylon.   Zylon has virtually no creep and is
extremely strong and light.  However,  Inherent in PBO rigging is very poor UV
resistance and the cost of the material itself along with the highly
specialized terminals used in affixing the stays and shrouds to the spars and
boat can drive the price into the tens of thousands.  As such, PBO rigging is
often seen with a vinyl coating that runs the length of the shroud to prevent
UV degradation.  Also, the servicing intervals for retiring PBO and Dyneema
standing rigging is far more frequent than equivalent steel wire or rod.  Even
so, look at any high performance Grand Prix boat where every ounce
counts(Vendee Globe, America’s Cup, Volvo Ocean Race, Sydney Hobart, etc.) and
the top of the fleet will all be using PBO standing rigging.

You will find Dyneema, mostly heat set like Dynex Dux being used as standing
rigging in lightweight performance catamarans, but often these boat will have
masts that are frequently un-stepped for transportation and trailering.
Lightweight is a factor as well.   Rather than using heavy stainless
turnbuckles, tension is achieved with lightweight deadeyes and lashings.  All
this translates to great advantages for high performance race machines, but
dubious value to heavy displacement cruiser/racers.  Just like most materials,
there’s always trade offs that one must make in technologies.  Between managing
the creep and tensioning of the shrouds along with devising proper terminations
that can be used on existing chainplates, I’m sure there are riggers that will
gladly accept your boat dollars to figure it all out.   For sure, I would avoid
using any synthetic standing rigging on any headstay that would be encapsulated
or attached to a jib furler with a foil.

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 35 Landfall

Padanaram, MA