From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Steve Thomas
via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2017 4:06 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Steve Thomas <sthom...@bellnet.ca>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Climbing the mast solo

All,
      I have been following this discussion with interest since I just returned
to my southern project boat with a so-far unused ATN Top Climber, and intend to
use it in the next couple of days. I have taken note in particular to the idea
of using a loop(s) to stay at the mast. The designer of the device however, has
at least in the past, suggested securing the static line away from the mast
because it makes the climb easier. I have not tried it either way, but I like
the sound of staying at the mast better. Anyone have comments on this aspect of
using the ATN climbing gear? Obviously the boat would have to be pretty steady.

On a separate note regarding fall arrest. I had a conversation one time with an
accomplished ice climber and asked him what type of line he preferred, nylon or
low stretch. He seemed to think that I was a complete idiot for even asking the
question, and maybe I was. Anyway, just to save anyone else who has not thought
it through from similar embarrassment or injury, you definitely want any line
that might arrest a fall to be stretchy. Nylon in other words.

I plan therefore to use polyester for the static line, and nylon for any safety
fall arrest  lines.

Steve Thomas
C&C36
Merritt Island, FL

---- Joe Della Barba via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/images/upmast.jpg

 Working on a topping lift in the Gulf Stream. If you are climbing underway,
MAKE SURE you have a loop to hold you near the mast. It does not look rough in
that photo, but the swells at 55 feet up were enough to make it hard to hang
on, and if you get loose you will hit one or more things pretty hard.

Joe Della Barba

j...@dellabarba.com <mailto:j...@dellabarba.com>

Coquina